Snail bait toxicity

Meet Tilly the Border Collie and Koopa the Minature Fox Terrier cross Chihuahua! Whilst their owners were away at work, this troublesome pair somehow found a bag of slug and snail bait and decided to eat some. The active ingredient in many slug and snail baits is metaldehyde, and unfortunately the additives that make the bait attractive to slugs and snails, is also attractive to some dogs who may eat the bait if they find it.

Share This Post

Share on facebook
Share on linkedin
Share on twitter
Share on email

Meet Tilly the Border Collie and Koopa the Minature Fox Terrier cross Chihuahua! Whilst their owners were away at work, this troublesome pair somehow found a bag of slug and snail bait and decided to eat some. The active ingredient in many slug and snail baits is metaldehyde, and unfortunately the additives that make the bait attractive to slugs and snails, is also attractive to some dogs who may eat the bait if they find it.

Clinical signs of metaldehyde toxicity may occur within 30 minutes to three hours after ingestion, and early signs include mild twitching and an unsteady gait. These signs then progress to severe generalized tremors, and then seizures, which can raise the body temperature significantly and subsequently result in permanent brain damage and death. Unfortunately there is no specific antidote for metaldehyde toxicity- instead, your veterinarian will need to treat your pet supportively- this may include making your pet vomit to remove as much of the toxin from their gastrointestinal tract as possible, hospitalising them and placing them on intravenous fluids to support their organs, and using medications to control the tremors and seizures.

Unfortunately, Tilly ate a significant amount of the bait and needed to have her stomach pumped and flushed out under general anaesthesia, whilst Koopa was a good boy and vomited his back up. Both Koopa and Tilly required intravenous fluids and anti-convulsants to stop their tremors, and Tilly needed additional doses of anti-convulsants to control her tremors as she had ingested a larger amount of the bait.

Both Tilly and Koopa responded well to their treatment, and they are fortunate that their owners acted quickly in getting them in to see Dr. Laura. We were very happy with their response to treatment, and we were glad that they were able to go home the next day!

More To Explore

Blog Posts

Snake alert this Spring

Alert! dogs and cats envenomated by Eastern Brown snakes This is a hot and dry Spring, and the good news is we are not seeing Dogs and Cats affected by ticks yet, as it is just too dry. There has also been a great uptake

Brave Pet of the Month

Brave Pet of the Month – Meet Wesley

WESLEY CAME IN BECAUSE HE WAS ACTING STRANGELY AND VOCALISING WHEN TOILETING. His mum just knew that something wasn’t right. A palpation of his tummy revealed a large firm bladder – Wesley had an obstructed urethra. This is one of the presentations we see in

Get In Touch

Covid-19 Update

Windaroo Animal Hospital continues to practice social distancing, keeping you and our Team safe.

You have 3 options: We are now allowing ONE client into the Hospital for consultations. If your dog is vaccinated we can have an outdoor consultation in the garden. We can continue to communicate through the window.

Please call on arrival for your appointment. No-one is waiting inside.

We will continue to bring food and medications out to your car, so please phone ahead for convenience.

Thank you for your support.